Monday, March 22, 2010

Magical Google Forms


Through my recent experience at the Google Teacher Academy for Administrators I learned about the form feature in Google Docs.  Up until this point I had only used the word processor and presentation functions in Docs.  I'd be lying if I didn't state that I was so fascinated by forms.  Immediately I saw administrative value in terms of collecting data and organizing it in a spreadsheet.  The best part is that you don't even have to create the spreadsheet! It is done for you as the form is created. 

Last week I created my first forms to collect summary and evaluation information on staff professional development and webinars. After creating the form I inserted the live link into the daily email announcement that I send out to my staff each morning along with instructions that this had to be filled out within one week of attending any workshop, conference, meeting, or training. Talk about making my job so much easier and efficient! Prior to forms I would stalk my staff via email to collect this information so that I could include it in my monthly Principal's Report.  Now it is done in a seamless fashion automatically.  It was so exciting to view the professional development spreadsheet this morning and see detailed information already submitted by seven teachers using the form.  


























This data will now allow me to analyze more efficiently preferred professional development topics, effective/ineffective presenters, whether or not a teacher's PIP (professional improvement plan) is being met, and information to assist me in planning future in-house training sessions.  In the near future I plan on creating forms for administrative walkthroughs, student discipline referrals, and the summary and evaluation of field trips. Please share with me any ideas you have on ways in which Google forms can be used.

11 comments:

  1. So much to learn so little time! Since you are successfully using Google Forms you now have to show your teachers and students how they can also implement Google Forms in their teaching and work. I am impressed that you can publish documents directly to your blog.

    http://cybraryman.com/google.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am already working on putting together PD for my staff on many Google Apps including forms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a powerful (and simple) tool. I can see myself using this for keeping up on students who are not being responsible with their homework. Instead of teachers emailing the list to me, students could just enter their own names themselves. Teach some collaboration, responsibility, and tech use at the same time.

    Curt Rees @wiscprincipal

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can find some additional info on forms as well as admin links of some already made forms you can copy (including a teacher tech self assessment and observation/walkthrough form) at http://adminlearning.wikispaces.com/Google+Forms-Email. Would you be willing to share your PD form?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Eric! Google Forms are really quite amazing. I recently started with a simple spreadsheet and right from the spreadsheet created an instant form! So the ease of use between forms and spreadsheets goes both ways! Question - as a princpal do you consider the potentially 'private' nature of any of the information you might gather in a form being in 'the cloud'? In other words, where do you draw the line with Google Forms and the information you gather? Great post and love the tweets! @dannymaas

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my work as Technology Director, I have used Google forms to collect teacher sites and online links. This facilitates their connections with each other via blogs, twitter, social bookmarking and more. I have also found Google forms to be an efficient way to create an online tech support request form. The sheet can be shared with other staff as needed to complete the work. I am glad to hear of these uses for school administrators.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use them all the time for surveys, pre-and post assessment of students, and to collect info. I also have a google form template that I re-use weekly posted on our class wiki to have students submit their weekly bellringer work to me.

    Here is a Google Doc listed on a high school site with lots of other ideas on how teachers are using Google forms http://sites.google.com/site/ahsgform/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Google forms is awesome. We're using it in our school in several ways. Quizzes, surveys, and staff collaboration and data gathering. Here's the link to my Google Forms resource. https://sites.google.com/site/edtechkit/google-docs-forms

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    Great to see you like Google Forms! I really like using them. We have created a simulation of a Help Desk for our Computer Career Class , Nurse Data Collection for visit to the nurses, surveys and use for the Power Quiz (skill builder). Below is the link to that template.

    Sheila
    Google Certified Teacher San Antonio 2010

    http://docs.google.com/a/mcpsweb.org/previewtemplate?id=0Ajbb2w2XkbwHdFNPRkJPSmVOa3dhLV9GbTJjZUhIbnc&mode=public

    ReplyDelete
  10. Training site we used last summer

    http://sites.google.com/a/mcpsweb.org/summer-camp-teacher-site/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Be sure to use a service like http://bit.ly/ to shorten the URL of your form. It makes life *so* much easier!

    ReplyDelete